Conversations about CAR-T
International experts discussed biomedical technologies of CAR-T
The conference was attended by representatives of the medical community, biotechnologists, pharmacists and regulators. Among them:
- Irina Poddubnaya, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Head of the Oncology Department of the Russian Medical Academy of Continuing Professional Education,
- Mohamed Mohti, Head of the Department of Hematology and Cell Therapy at Saint-Antoine Hospital,
- Larisa Mendeleeva, Head of the Department of Chemotherapy of Paraproteinemic Hemoblastoses of the Federal State Budgetary Institution "NMIC of Hematology" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation,
- Vadim Ptushkin, Chief Freelance Specialist Hematologist,
- Mikhail Maschan, Director of the Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine of the Federal State Budgetary Institution "NMIC DGOI. Dmitry Rogachev" Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation,
- Dmitry Kudlay, Vice President for the Introduction of New Medical Technologies of Generium JSC,
- Nuria Musina, Head of the Research Laboratory of Technology Assessment in Healthcare at the Institute of Applied Economic Research of the RANEPA under the President of the Russian Federation
- and others.
CAR-T cell therapy is a type of immunotherapy for the treatment of certain oncological diseases. Experts consider this type of therapy to be one of the most promising and effective today. The principle of therapy: T-lymphocytes are isolated from human blood, then multiply and are genetically modified so that they can recognize the tumor. After that, the cells are returned to the patient in the form of an infusion of a biomedical cell preparation (BMCP). Such a BMCP independently finds and destroys tumor cells.
During the conference, the achievements and regulatory aspects of SAR-T cell therapy in the treatment of oncohematological diseases in adults, its availability, as well as prospects for use in Russia were discussed. The participants called an open dialogue between clinicians and industry representatives an important event of the conference.
During the discussion, the experts listed the areas where CAR-T cell therapy methods are successfully used and noted the importance of its widespread implementation:
"Today we are on the threshold of mass application of such innovative technologies as CAR-T, gene therapy products, personalized vaccines, bispecific antibodies, which show outstanding results in the treatment of oncological conditions," commented Dmitry Kudlay. — The special nature of these technologies dictates the need to adapt regulatory requirements to the new reality and the main goal: quick access of patients to effective and safe therapy. Active work in this direction is underway all over the world, including in Russia. Discussing the milestones of the introduction of these technologies, which have their own characteristics, for example, the autologous nature of the main component in both CAR-T and some vaccines, it is worth paying attention to the quality control of these therapeutic products. It is important to understand that their production is multi-stage and involves working with living cells, which can often be transported thousands of kilometers from the patient, undergo amplification and modification processes. Therefore, civilized world quality assurance schemes provide for maximizing the introduction of industrial processes directly near the place of application of the product."
Russian companies with sufficient funds and capacities to deploy CAR-T production have already started implementing such projects and expect the first results in the near future, the conference participants noted.
Portal "Eternal youth" http://vechnayamolodost.ru